Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A Grand Day Out

Easter is over. I feel sad about this, as I had an awesome weekend. I also got a Kinder Easter Set, it doesn't get any better.
Anyway, today was my first day back at work, so naturally I spent the morning planning a lunch-time escape. Ming and I took the IT Mystery Machine and sped to a nearby town I like to call 'Sloth Hell'. It was a freaky experience. We parked in a car park where, instead of filling in cracks and pot-holes with gravel or tarmac, the local 'authorities' had used tree trunks. Chopped down, chopped up, tree trunks! Many with branches still on! Very, very strange. They lay at all angles, we had to dodge them all the way in, and out!

So walking through the 'Village', was a surreal experience. I did half expect to see Patrick McGoohan, or at least a chavvy imitation. We had a brief spell in the bank, but because I was getting smacked on the ass (by the door, it was very busy and we were at the back of the queue) every time someone came in, we decided to vacate. We then went to Morrisons, which was actually quite exciting. Pies were tres cheap, cherry tomatos were skillfully arranged, but best of all there were various gadget type things hung from all the shelves. Amongst whistling straws and mini whisks I found a Can Strainer. Wow. You fix it over cans so you can drain them. For 49p. We do a lot of draining, so I had to buy it for Buff. He loved it. We got home tonight and drained everything. There is no moisture left in our house now. And it only cost 49p to achieve.

After Morrisons, we went to a local sandwich shop for local people. There were cans of Stella Artois hidden between cans of Coke in the fridge, and the door handle had spoons and forks hanging from it. Very avant garde. We bought sandwiches and sat in the Mystery Machine and ate them. Like a little special picnic. I tried the new peanut butter Kit-Kat, das ist gut.

Then, the party was over and I spent the afternoon at my desk, moping, and looking forward to watching Battlestar. When we finally did get home (and had drained everything) we ate sausages and chips.

I wish it was Friday. Or Saturday. Forever.

No comments: