Saturday, June 26, 2010

Pawcakes & Seways

So yesterday was our wedding anniversary. We made pancakes for breakfast, and Hefty made one in the shape of a paw!


Then we headed out to York, dropping Ozzy off on the way. The weather was alright yesterday, quite warm, and when we got there we decided to head straight to the Jorvik Centre. This folks, is a Viking centre, all about....Vikings! There's stuff to look at and a ride thing where you sit in a boothy thing that floats round a Viking village. It's alright, but it STINKS, because they pump air into it that is supposed to be the same as it was back then. Let me tell you, HORRIBLE, and it makes you feel sick after a while. Anyway we did that, then wandered around looking for somewhere to go for lunch.

We ended up going to a place called 'Betty's,' which is really famous in Yorkshire. It's a tea room type place, they do the whole afternoon tea as well as proper food, but they also have a shop that sells baked goods and chocolate. It's a real tourist trap in these parts, people rave about it all the time. I've been loads of times, I think it's pretty good, but it's overrated, one of those places people go to cos everybody else does. Hefty hasn't been which is why we went. And it was okay, we had a decent lunch, but I can still think of places I'd rather go.

After that, we meandered round the shops a bit, and then ended up deciding to just go home. We were going to look round the Minster, but you have to pay to go in and though we're the least tight people in the world, it was a rip off, so we didn't bother. I'd wanted to go to the York Dungeon but it was getting on for 4pm, and you don't really want to stay too late as the traffic gets so bad round there that you never get out. So we went home.

We thought we might go into Leeds for dinner, to our favourite Japanese restaurant, but on the way home we were so tired we decided to just call at M&S and pick up some nibbley food instead. It wasn't nice enough to sit outside when we got home so we ended up catching up on TV! I feel responsible for the non-event of a day, as it was my bright idea, but Hefty had a nice time (beats work) and was happy enough. We normally go to the Trafford Centre for our anniversary (just cos there's nothing to do round here and it was something we started doing), and I wish we had. It's easier to make a proper day out there cos there's a lot more shops, ones we don't have easy access to here, and lots of places to eat and stuff. FAIL on my part. Next year I'll know better. I'm sure most people try and go away or something, but whenever we go away for a day or two, it always ends up being more hassle than it's worth, and we wish we'd not bothered, which is why we started down the shopping centre route (we both excel at shopping). Meh. Never mind.

Today has been uneventful, we tried to sit in the sun for a while after we'd picked Ozzy up, but the cloud kept coming over and spoiling it, so we ended up back inside. I decided to start looking at holiday activities for when we go in October, and discovered some random things. We're off to Hawaii, so I found this website called Go Hawaii and had initially planned to look up helicopter tours, cos Hefty really wants to do one. Unfortunately, Hefty's many years of weight-lifting has backfired for the first time. There's a weight limit on helicopters, and unless we go up one at a time, I'll have to lose four stone before then to accommodate Hefty's bulk. Rubbish! There are plane tours but they also involve mini buses and an itinerary as such, which neither of us were keen on. You can go on a regular minibus tour which we might consider, but I stumbled across a section called 'Segway Tours.' That's right! You can do a plethora of island tours on a Segway! Both of us are WELL up for that so it's just a matter of picking which tours we want to do! One of the pictures on the site made me laugh, it's such an odd sight:


Not planning on doing a whole lot that holiday, but it's nice to do the odd thing here and there. I haven't been for sooo long, so I'm excited to see how it's changed.

Last night (just remembered), I had to endure watching Glastonbury coverage. I try to be open-minded about music but I rarely see anyone there who I like the sound of. I like a lot of different stuff, not just Metal, but it seems they really put a lot of filler on at Glasto. The first thing we saw was a rapper type called Dizzy Rascal, who MURDERED 'Smells like teen spirit' by Nirvana. It's got to be one of the easiest songs to play on a guitar, but his guitarist chopped through the riff whilst he rapped some shit over the top of it. AWFUL. Then there was some nondescript bloke with a guitar and a drummer whose name I can't even remember (by the way, I'm probably not spelling any of these people's names properly, but I don't care about them enough to look up the correct versions), then the dullest band in the world, who had sounded good from the intro. Vampire Weekend, I thought that sounded promising, but they were hammering out boring, predictable crap that sounded like it had been ripped off from a whole host of other crap people. I left the room at that point, decided tidying the kitchen was preferable. I then went to bed, but Hefty came upstairs not long after that and put it on upstairs! Some band called Hot Chip were on, and I think I thought they were okay, but I was in the ensuite at that point so didn't hear them properly. But then this bint called Ellie Golding was on and totally freaked me out! I know I'm not down with the kids, all of these people are probably really popular somewhere, but she had the weirdest voice I've heard for a long time, I can't describe it, she just sang really oddly. Also, she had the pointiest nose and chin, and looked like the Wicked Witch of the West (but not green)! We started paying close attention when she was singing cos Hefty said her nose seemed to be moving of its own accord. Oh the hilarity. We turned off after that cos I couldn't bear it anymore. On the positive side though, in the unlikely event I recall any of these people in the future, I will at least know to avoid them! WIN!

Right, I'm off. Ciao!

No comments: