Friday, March 23, 2007

Lashings of Ginger Ale

Thanks guys for all your super comments!! It's nice to know I have a good support network out there! :0)
So tomorrow is the big day. I've been bricking it all week, but the worst thing will probably be not being able to eat anything. Eating is good, not eating is wrong!!! Though if I end up as a size 0 after all this it'd be worth it!

I settled on an eclectic mix of films to keep me entertained:

Underworld Evolution
Best In Show
The Running Man
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Constantine (seen it but like it)
The Story of the Weeping Camel (bought purely for the funky cover)
The Cutting Edge
The Man with Two Brains
Girl, Interrupted
Hostel

It's a random list to be sure, but then I am kind of random so it seems appropriate.

Speaking of random, last night I attended a dinner with Enid Blyton's daughter Gillian. I was sat on the top table with her (oh yes, it pays to be Vice President of the Old Girls Association) and was one of the most surreal moments ever. She did a speech and stuff for everyone else there, but the 6 of us sharing a table with her were mesmorised. Not only was she uber-interesting, she had the kind of voice you could listen to all night. I just kept looking at her thinking, that's frikkin Enid Blyton's DAUGHTER! And I"M sat with her!!!! Bizarre, utterly bizarre. The menu involved puddings that she'd written about in Malory Towers, so there was Spotted Dick, Trifle, Ginger Pudding, and something else that I can't recall. I thought that was quite cool, though it's not the kind of fayre you get at boarding school anymore, so you wouldn't have a clue if you hadn't read the books. We also had Ginger Ale, which was a nice touch. I hate fizzy drinks but hey. It looked cool. So all in all, a pretty fly evening :0) We walked her to her car, which was parked really badly. Just as my compadre Charlotte was commenting on this, Gillian mentioned the knee replacement operation she'd had in November. We're going straight to hell now, I'm sure of it.

So, the next time I write, the op will be all over, and I'll be bed-ridden, with only my trusty iBook for company (and the TV, DVD player, video, Laserdisc player etc.)


I'd like to have posted a picture, but once again, Blogspot is playing up and not letting me. Grrrrrr.

Farewell for now fellow bloggers, see you on the other side.

iP

2 comments:

Tim said...

Oh, I used to love a bit of Blyton… I used to love the 'adventure' series - The Mountain of Adventure was my favourite. In fact, I had a copy, and I've got a sneaking suspicion I got rid of it when I moved.

Blast!

Any comparisons to Timmy the Dog will NOT be tolerated, however.

Now look here: Very best wishes for a speedy recovery, and lots of movie-based recovery good times!

Anonymous said...

The Cutting Edge is a fantastic film.

"Toe pick"