Thursday, January 17, 2008

Oddness


I can't sleep. It was my Grandpa's funeral today, and I feel strange. It's been an odd week all round, bit of a blur, and I'm not sure I've really taken it all in. There were two services, one for his wife and her family, and one for us. They refused to go to the burial because they don't believe in it and don't think he should be buried next to my Grandma, so we sat through this weird service thing first. The priest wasn't great, he stuttered a lot, kept fluffing his lines, it was an all-round mess of a service. I know this is going to sound really stupid, but Catholic funerals are so depressing. I've known other funerals where it's really been a celebration of the person's life, and it's been comforting. This one just seemed cold and sad, and the organ music was a bit over-done. I don't know, I prolly shouldn't be slagging it off, but it didn't help at all. Afterwards, we went to the graveyard for the burial, and that seemed a bit better somehow. It was slinging it down which sucked, but it was a bit more moving and personal. I don't know, I just feel strange. I don't think it's sunk in yet. This evening I was in the kitchen putting glasses away, and I realised that my Grandpa had bought them for us, and I started looking round and saw other things he'd got us, and I got quite upset. I sat on the kitchen floor and sobbed. Ozzy came and laid on my knee, licking my hand, bless him. Dogs really do pick up on things, it's amazing.

Young Ozzy had a better day than us, as he went to Ming's house! He was there for nearly six hours I think, and when we went to pick him up, he was casually strewn over Ming's sofa like he owned the place! He came away with a new toy too, a rattley ball, which he loves! So at least one of us had fun today. I owe Ming BIG TIME for this, he worked from home so he could do it, so I'm buying in the Angus Burgers for life!! Thanks Ming!!! :0)

We've nearly sorted out our new kitchen too, just have to go in and sign and then we're on our way. It's called Kelmscott Modern Oak, and it's from MFI. I tried to get a picture off the website but it wouldn't work. It's lovely though, and I can't wait, as then we'll have space for all our appliances, and get to buy new ones! I can finally get my KitchenAid Mixer to match my blender, and we're having a built in coffee machine, which will rule!

So that's my news so far. The Jonotron is coming to chillax at Pandah Palace tomorrow. Looking forward to that, though I don't know when he's going back to Oz, it might be the last time we do it for a while. We're going to watch DVDs, and eat Cheestrings and Frubes like we did when we were kids. Brilliant.

I just read 'Vortigern's Machine and The Great Sage of Wisdom'. It was alright. Good pics. Need to read my Love and Rockets books but haven't had time. Also need to watch Peep Show! So much to do.

If I could only get to sleep I might be able to get up tomorrow and do some of these things. I still feel odd though. So I'll keep watching 'Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.'

Sigh.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I also think funerals should be a celebration of a person's life. It's never nice to say goodbye to someone, and while there is always going to be an element of sadness to such things, I think the day should focus on being thankful for what these people brought to our lives.

Just my two-pence worth.

I really hope 2008 picks up for you now.

iPandah said...

Thanks, I totally agree, and am always happy to receive your 2P! :0)