Friday, November 30, 2007

December - The pros and cons


Well, my friend came round for dinner the other night and it was lovely! Hefty was on form and made the best veggie mince lasagne ever! We're not veggies but she is, and we had to come up with something we'd all want to eat. Luckily, there's this lovely stuff which I think is just called Veggie Mince (they have it in Sainsbury's and Waitrose) and it tastes like meat, not like nasty Quorn which is rank! After she'd gone, I realised how much I like entertaining, so I might do more!

Went to my sister's today as she's been uber ill with flu and was too tired to get to mine. Plus, her boss seems to think she's not actually ill and though she blatantly is, she was worried she might call round like she did the other day. We had lattes and did some chatting before going to pick the Biz up from nursery. When we got there she was asleep, which never happens, and then we couldn't find her shoes and spent half an hour scouring the place. Then we found them in another child's tray and think she did it on purpose cos she never wants to leave. Then, she still didn't want to leave but we managed to bribe her out with the promise of cuddling Henry (my sister's new puppy) and listening to Phil Spector's Christmas Album in the car. It worked, then when we got home she had a massive strop and wouldn't stop screaming, crying, and shouting 'No!'. She can be a right little sod and I really feel for my sister as she's so run down, she's ill all the time at the moment and it stresses her out big time. I tell people about Biz and they say "You should do this" and "This will work" blah blah blah. Unless you have her with you, I don't think anyone can appreciate how difficult she is. She's so stubborn and strong willed, she just doesn't behave and doesn't care what you think of her. She's a punk! I reckon even Supernanny would be stumped on this one. Maybe I should call her and find out!

When I got home there was a stack of cards on the door mat! Getting very excited now, I have lots of cards and some presents and once the tree goes up tomorrow that'll be it! The best things about having a December birthday are:

- You get to have your presents under the Christmas tree, or if you're very special (like moi) you have your own birthday tree! Which is just a Christmas tree that goes in your bedroom and is only for birthday presents!

- You get to open your advent calendar on your birthday!

- Most people are in a good mood cos they like Christmas.

- There's loads of nice food in the shops - yum!

There are downsides too though:

- Finding a birthday cake isn't easy, shops seem to think that only Christmas happens in December and therefore people only want fruitcake (I hate fruitcake).

- Shops also think that people only want Christmas cards, and sometimes you get pretty crappy ones, but it IS the thought that counts, and not the person who buys you one's fault.

- The later your birthday is in December the worse it is. I'm okay cos the 3rd is early enough for people to only just be getting to grips with the festive season, but poor Hefty's is the 17th. He's never had a party cos the kids had all broken up from school and were too busy. Also, everyone has got to that "Aagh, it's a week til Christmas!" stressed stage, and are no longer in a good mood. Also, booking to go out for a meal is nigh on impossible.

- You have to wait a whole year for your birthday AND Christmas, so you don't have much mid-year excitement. Hefty and I remedied this by getting married on the 25th June, EXACTLY 6 months between then and Christmas, problem solved!

- You tend to get one present which is classed as a Birthday/Christmas present, rather than 2. Let's face it, having 2 to open is much better, and anything less is just laziness!!!!

- Your Mum says stuff like "Once your birthday's out of the way we can concentrate on getting sorted for Christmas." Maybe that's just my Mum. Frankly though, it's not nice to be told your birthday is essentially in the way of more important stuff.

That's all I can think of, but it's a substantial list!

Looking forward to Monday though, Hefty's got the day off, we'll have a puppy, and we're getting a new TV. Also, SuperSaz is coming round - yay!! Ooh, I've got a good birthday cake too, it's a SpongeBob one, I'll be sure to post a pic!

I am currently loving a band called Shiny Toy Guns, which is kind of electro pop stuff. I'm also loving New Young Pony Club, and CSS. I'm going to get their CDs when I get my allowance in a week, as I've been thinking about it for too long now! I'm really bad at buying music, I just forget what I like and don't seem to get round to it. I suppose it's cos I only really listen to it in my car, so once I'm out, that's it! Blank memory!

Right, I'm off to find a top cos I'm cold. Meeting my friend for lunch tomorrow then getting puppy on Sunday!! Let's hope he looks distinctive and I can think of a name!

iP

2 comments:

Tim said...

I can totally understand how annoying having your birthday close to Christmas can be - it's bad enough in November - still got a huge gap between Christmas and my next birthday. It's like a present drought.

I hate fruitcakes too. They're evil.

iPandah said...

I wouldn't swap it, I just think the shops need to be more considerate! I don't understand why fruitcake is all there is at Christmas, and Christmas pudding? It's all so rank, you'd think people would want chocolatey or creamy stuff, not raisins and whisky. Eugh!