Sunday, September 09, 2007

Ramblings


Well, another uneventful week. Can't wait to give up work now, it's really starting to get me down. It's the illness/work combination, it's lethal! It's a bit like in Batman (the film), where they discover that mixing talcum powder with baby lotion can prove fatal*, except that instead of producing a big smile, I have a big frown, and am not actually dead. God what the hell am I talking about?!! See. LOST the plot!

Had Friday off again, and spent most of the day in town. Was supposed to meet my friend but she had to cancel, so I met Hefty for lunch instead. We had Japanese - hooray! A beef teriyaki bento box - my favourite!
I also bought a book that I spotted randomly on Amazon. It was in some subsection I'd clicked on by mistake. I was only killing time waiting for Hefty, but it sounded good, so I popped into Borders and had a look at it in the flesh. Looked pretty good, first page had my interest (that's the official iPandah test - if you read the first page and turn to the second, it's probably a winner), so I purchased it, even though it was a whole four pound more than it was on Amazon.
Well, got home at about 2pm, started reading it - couldn't STOP reading it!! What a fab book! Am nearly finished, have been at it the whole weekend, and have had to order the other 2 in the series from Amazon. So what is it?

'Dissolution' by C.J. Sansom

And here is the synopsis, shamelessly stolen from Amazon, who themselves nicked it off the back of the book!

'Henry VIII has proclaimed himself Supreme Head of the Church and the country is waking up to savage new laws, rigged trials and the greatest network of informers ever seen. Under the order of Thomas Cromwell, a team of commissioners is sent through the country to investigate the monasteries. There can only be one outcome: the monasteries are to be dissolved.

But on the Sussex coast, at the monastery of Scarnsea, events have spiralled out of control. Cromwell's Commissioner Robin Singleton, has been found dead, his head severed from his body. His horrific murder is accompanied by equally sinister acts of sacrilege - a black cockerel sacrificed on the alter, and the disappearance of Scarnsea's Great Relic.

Dr Matthew Shardlake, lawyer and long-time supporter of Reform, has been sent by Cromwell into this atmosphere of treachery and death. But Shardlake's investigation soon forces him to question everything he hears, and everything that he intrinsically believes ... '

If you like this sort of thing (think 'Name of the Rose'), then it won't disappoint. It just flows brilliantly, really well written, and it isn't bogged down in historical facts like some books like this are.

So there. That is my view, do with it what you will.

Not much more to tell, as I've just been reading all weekend.

Off out to dinner in a bit though, so should get ready really. Or read a bit more of the book........


*Couldn't find a picture of those two models that died in it, or the news reader woman, so I settled for a classic JN one.

1 comment:

Tim said...

You can't beat classic Joker Jack!

(Although I expect in a few years we'll be saying the same thing about Heath Ledger…!)